sabato 28 maggio 2016

Prefazione The Age of Em: Work, Love and Life when Robots Rule the Earth by Robin Hanson

The Age of Em: Work, Love and Life when Robots Rule the Earth by Robin Hanson
You have 146 highlighted passages
You have 133 notes
Last annotated on May 28, 2016
Preface   • Delete this highlight
Note: PREF@@@@@@@@@@@@ Edit
The techies who dominate science fiction and technology futurism often say that careful analysis can sometimes let us foresee the outlines of future technologies, but not their social consequences.   • Delete this highlight
Note: SOCIAL CONSEQUENCE Edit
I once loved science fiction, but the more I’ve learned, the less I can overlook how little of it makes sense; even stories where the physics is mostly right get the economics laughably wrong.   • Delete this highlight
Note: FANTASCIENZA Edit
About 15 years ago, at the opening reception of a small interdisciplinary conference, I broke the ice by asking an English professor, “Why do you guys hate economists?” He answered simply, “You know.”   • Delete this highlight
Note: ODIO X L ECONOMIA Edit
But I eventually realized that, to have a lasting legacy, I needed to focus on a book. But what topic could draw me in enough to keep all the other fascinating topics at bay? I picked this one.   • Delete this highlight
Note: UN TEMA INTERDISCIPLINARE Edit
If the future matters more than the past, because we can influence it, why do we have far more historians than futurists?   • Delete this highlight
Note: STORICI E FUTURISTI Edit
minds “uploaded” into computers, a.k.a. “brain emulations,” or “ems” for short.   • Delete this highlight
Note: EM Edit
show just how many reasonable forecasts one can make about such a scenario, if one just applies standard consensus theories from relevant fields.   • Delete this highlight
Note: SCOPO Edit
this book is dense, and reads more like an encyclopedia than a narrative.   • Delete this highlight
Note: ENCICLOPEDIA Edit
I’ve never felt as intellectually isolated or at risk as when writing this book, and I hope my desert days end now, as readers like you join me in discussing The Age of Em.   • Delete this highlight
Note: ISOLAMENTO Edit
I have received no financial assistance for this book and its related research,   • Delete this highlight
Add a note